Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Anime Review: Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun

This anime is super ridiculous. Ridiculously funny! I’ve bet you’ve already heard of this of course with it’s super rise in the hype train, but for good reason. This show is genuinely funny, not laugh out loud hilarious like… I dunno, Gintama? But it is funny. Way better than a lot of romantic ‘comedy’ shoujo shows I’ve seen in the past.


I wasn’t originally going to watch this, but it came on to my anime viewing network channel (the Anime Network) and I was just bored so I started it. I ended up coming back every week to watch the next hilarious take. The funniest part is that this is a funny show, about a misunderstanding, leading this girl…. to the friend zone/ you’re my assistant. (*emphasizes* you're my assistant)


The anime was adapted from a manga series written and drawn by the mangaka Izumi Tsubaki. Square Enix is the English publisher behind this anime though (and I do believe they are doing the next Vocaloid song series adaptation, Mekaku School Suite) Licensed by Sentai Filmworks and Hanabee it consists of 12 episodes and is viewable for streaming on Crunchyroll. The manga is ongoing so if you ever want to, you can read the manga.


Like I just said, this anime is about a girl who likes this boy. She somehow gets the courage to confess to him one evening in class, and she…. gets his autograph. Imagine her face. He ended up being a famous manga artist under a pen name! Not only that, but he happens to be a shoujo mangaka of all things, as straight faced as he may seem to be. Somehow she gets pulled in with a lot of other eccentric characters as they go through the antics of helping him with his manga along with the others also being seemingly indifferent (hah, LOL) towards his shoujo manga antics. Oh, and maybe about getting out of the friendzone. But trust me, the last episode is going to piss you off like you wouldn’t BELIEVE. Just watch it all the way through the credits.


When the super popular idol boy... creeps you out.
This happens to me all the time.
On characters, I think I’ve said enough about them already. They don’t really change that much, they just are there. I will admit that their shoujo manga ironic personalities (probably purposely) are hilarious. And if you’re a fan of shoujo, trust me, you’ll notice the references just bouncing around everytime these walking stereotype deconstructions come waltzing into the picture. Other than the lack of development, they are pretty decent characters. Them, being just there to be enjoyable and make you laugh.


On that note, that reminds me of the fact that this show doesn’t have too much plot. It really is about them just going through the motions of being shoujo manga assistant who also happened to have got shot down violently. Surprisingly enough though, there isn’t even a beach episode, although it is mentioned. Hah, you’ll get it if you’re into shoujo. Reiterating this again, that’s what that is. You will definitely enjoy this so much more if you watch or read a lot of shoujo things. They make fun of it, reference it, and even have WALKING STEREOTYPE DECONSTRUCTIONS!! How many times must I say that!?!?


There are too many characters so I'll just tell you that the MAIN, main
characters are Nozaki and Sakura. (Green and Orange)
Animation is a little over average. Nothing super fancy. Music is along the same lines, but more towards the average. The opening being maybe one of the only really stand outish pieces in pretty much the entire show. Though I do dare say the animation in the opening is extremely creative and super outstanding compared to the rest of the show with it’s pretty use of colors, using what I see as a comic art style, so it’s also ironic to the show.

Overall, if you enjoy shoujos, you’ll love this, and if you like anime comedies, you’ll also probably still like this. It’s a pretty good watch and I would totally recommend this to anyone who just wants to waste time.
Then again, this would depress even me....

No comments:

Post a Comment