Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Anime Review: Karneval

Oh. My. Gosh. FINALLY!!! I seriously never thought that I would actually make this.
And actually, I wrote the first sentence like five days ago so, and I'm super reluctant to finish it right now but I need to, so I WILL.

Anyway, so this anime is about a kid named Nai? (oh my gosh! It's been so long I'm starting to forget their names!!) And he gets saved by this guy named Gareki who we don't really know anything about for the most part until later in the series. So when Nai is saved they run into some Karnival members which is the pink, circus girl, who is super awesome by the way, and the top hat guy with glasses that runs the whole thing. And frankly, I didn't know his name when I was watching the anime. So Nai helps them save a train from blowing up because he has great ears due to the fact that he's actually an ANIMAL but you'll touch on that subject later with Gareki. Anyway, so they save the train and Nai shows them this braclet that Karoku gave him. Nai is in search of his friend and only family, Karoku. So depsite the fact that the bracelet was actually pointless Gareki wanted it, and Nai said he would give it to him when he saw Karoku again and Karoku said that Gareki could have it. The Karneval people take in Nai and Gareki for protection from these monsters that I also forgot the name of (main this is so full of holes it might as well be swiss cheese. My plot summary, not the actual plot. Although that has a few holes too...) So Gareki and Nai pretty much go around with the Karneval members stopping these things and finding out more about Nai and Gareki's past, and also a few of the others quirks right Yogi? *wink wink* In the end they have this huge fight ultimately leading to a, I guess was, surprising ending when they were searching for Karoku.

My rating on this? Ehhh? Not much else. The characters were mediocre, in my opinion, and weren't very realistic or unique. (sorry BlackStar) Nai's shota-ness was the most annoying in my opinion and the pink girl, whose name I am too lazy to look up, is clearly a VERY stereotypical kuudere. Gareki is a male tsundere. Yogi is some super hyper active monkey thing which I think his name represents perfectly. And Nai is a freaking shota to the freaking maxness. I mean, it goes past d'waaahhh how cute. I mean the writer was like fudge everything, this is a girl in guy's clothing. (let's get over the fact that he mostly had girly clothing on...) The storyline was pretty good though, although they never really got to far into the whole Karoku thing, mostly just the run down of the monsters. (but don't get me wrong, it was entertaining with the monsters) and the fight scenes consisted of the fighting monsters too. What I really hate was the character development. You never really find out about any of the characters back stories besides a LOT of Garaki's and of course Nai's. And just asking, is this perhaps a shounen-ai? Like maybe how Kuroshitsuji was somewhat? (admit it, we all were thinking it) Because they keep hinting on Nai and Gareki's relationship. And they never did explain the whole ship thing. What the ef was that?! And why was it so serious?

Oh and personally, WTF is up with the costume designs on this show? I mean, yes they're name is Karneval but what the heck Gareki and Nai? It was just, it was just ridiculous to the point that I, personally, could not overlook. Goodness what the heck? It was just weird. And I didn't really like Gareki's 'mother' too much either. Gosh, what and idiot and P.S. I am NOT even Japanese and even I know that, that is NOT the right way to where a yukata. And for those of you who are not much of a 'color' person, you might want to be careful because this thing shoots colors at you like it's the fudging rainbow x neon. If anything, I recommend the manga more than I'd recommend the anime. And pink girl, I keep thinking her name is Tsubame...is that right?

This is the cosplay for the shirt of Gareki that I found oh so ridiculous. 
I mean, in the anime, every time he took of his jacket I'm just like, does that even count as a shirt? What the heck!! Why are you wearing this? This defeats the purpose of having long sleeves just WHHYY!?!?!

 Here is anime Gareki. The manga portrays it's art better because Gareki is supposed to be a teenager and he looks about 20 or older in this picture. Actually, Gareki is supposed to be 15...
Again with the half shirt. It doesn't even cover his shirt fully! Why! I know some fangirls are probably going crazy but I can't get passed the shirt. SHIRT. Oh look he's half naked and pretty decent looking AAANNND what's up with that shirt? Can't look away... Anyway, so the manga portrays it's characters better. He still doesn't look 15 but he definitely looks younger.
Left to right, Tsubame(?) Nai, Gareki and Yogi. 

Don't be fooled. THIS is what Nai looked like in the anime. Always crying all the time, goodness he got on my nerves (sorry Nai fans but he's annoying)
This isn't exactly what he wore in one episode, (actually like 3) but it's a lot like it. It just needs to have overalls and a different color scheme. (disregard the ears) Just, why? Ugg, they pulled a Trancy on us. Man Alois was a TERRIBLE kid and I wanted to kill him. Don't care about his back story, hated his tiny little devilish blond guts. AND those booty shorts and socks. Anyway, ehem. 

Don't get me wrong, I did kind of like the anime. There was a terrible cliffhanger at the end and a lot wasn't explained so I say read the manga. Plus the amounts of color they shove in your face is horrifying. I just can't take it, but the action is good, and the manga probably does a better job on it's characters. It might end up being like Kamisama Hajimemashita. The anime was a lot like Fruits Basket. The manga? Not so much. Kind of like the anime and manga Fruits Basket all together, with the manga being WAY better than the anime, but the anime being not bad and pretty good until you read and compare it to the manga. So, this review, is FINALLY done!! I watched this anime over WINTER BREAK ABOUT A MONTH AGO but it's DONE! Thank GLOB!

2 comments:

  1. you know that the original Kuroshitsuji is a yaoi? and wow your review is the total OPPOSITE of meg's

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the type of person who is easily amused and bases everything off of first impression, which explains why we have totally different opinions on Karneval. I completely understand all of the things you're pointing out, but becuase I'm always watching anime at 11 pm to 3 am, I don't always notice things xD I like the review anyway, but I probably only liked the show because I couldn't get over the insane art, so I'm (surprisingly) not offended at all by how much you don't like it.

    ReplyDelete