Tuesday, June 24, 2014

My Vendetta Against the Moe Genre

If anyone knows me, then they know one certain thing when it comes to me and anime.
I don't. Do. Moe.

I'm sorry K-On! fans but I hate it. You too Clannad-ers!! I just.. I mean... I can't.
Lucky Star

Let me explain why before people start coming at me with virtual pitchforks and scary ALL CAPS letters.

Well. Okay first it's not like I totally despise anyone who likes moe animes. I mean, one of my best friends really likes K-On! and Lucky Star while I just don't have a taste for it. Some people like that kind of genre! I am not one of them. (Also I do not shun you FOR or BECAUSE you like that genre. Let's not be anime racists here)
K-On!

Lucky Star and K-On! or both, whether you like it or not, are moe genre animes. Lucky Star also slightly a comedy with it's strange concoction of weird conversations and stuff. I guess, I could stomach Lucky Star...yeah probably not. No offense to those who like it, but I couldn't really sit through the first episode. They had these long, pointless conversations about...whatever the heck they were talking about and I kind of just tuned it out. It was meant to be comedy, but it barely kept me interested for the first episode! And I know that Japan can do better than that because I've seen Nichijou which I consider to NOT be a moe genre and to be more of a strange cosmic slice of life, school life, comedy anime. And it seriously is absolutely hilarious! I love it!
Nichijou
Okay. This is hilarious.
Had to put it on here.
So there's number one about the moe genre. Fake funny.
K-On! does it too. Yes the first time Mio was scared was adorably cute! And then it was just irritatingly shallow and cliche. Really, only SO MANY TIMES YOU CAN USE THAT JOKE! And the plot. Oh it's supposed to be a plot about their friendship! Well one, I signed up for a kick butt music anime where they should play some GOSH DANG MUSIC ONCE IN A WHILE, and two, if it's going to be about their friendship they should have gone through more things than a few bumps in the road every 4 episode out of 12 or 24. Really? Because eating cake and drinking tea doesn't qualify as friendship serious biz in my book. Friendship anime? Go Isshuukan Friends . That is some serious stuff right there in Isshuukan Friends AND it might even be a moe anime! Or Anohana, and Pet Sakurasou?! I loved both those animes and both really revolved around the friendships in the anime. And they were STRONG FRIENDSHIPS! Not based on cake and tea and one note practice sessions until FINALLY the band anime plays some actually GOSH DARN music in 5 effing episodes in! Really?
The Pet Girl of Sakurasou
Look at all that friendship. Look at it.

And you know what? I don't even think it's the moe genre. It's the annoying typical moe characters that grind my guts to the point of I want to run a knife into your adorable blue eyes. Moe shouldn't be a genre! It should be a character! Which equally piss me off! The moe genre literally, REVOLVES around how cute and adorable, ditzy and clumsy, or plain old KAWAII the characters can act. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! I want storyline! If I wanted this,I might as well have gone and watched some magical girl anime where the characters are also secretly idols. Yeah no. I would never watch that. An example of an annoying moe character is Nai from  Karneval. Some might actually call him a shota, which I also hate, but some would also consider Ciel to be a shota so I say that Nai is moe shota. Moe for...obvious reasons. Shota for even MORE obvious reasons. Also Elfen Lied's Lucy when she says nothing but fudging NYU. That is not a coherent word ANYWHERE. Or noise for that matter so just STFU!!!!
Clannad
And if no one was really paying attention, my problems with moe are in this list.
1. Fake Comedy (or boring comedy)
2. Plot Revolves Around Cuteness
3. Characters Always Generic, Irritating, Pushover-ish, and/or just plain STUPID

And that, sirs, is my reasoning behind my vendetta against the moe genre. I'm sorry I just...I just can't.
Also I mentioned Clannad and for the me, almost ALL the females were unlikeable because of reason number 3. I couldn't watch it and feel sorry for anybody. So no, I did not cry during Clannad. No, I do not care if she died.I was totally not "dying of the feels" or whatever. DEAL WITH IT! Because FRANKLY Angel Beats! was better and if they made it longer it would have been so awesome.
Angel Beats!

2 comments:

  1. I think a LOT of it has to do with art style, for who knows what reason. It's really weird. I feel like Lucky Star, K-On, and some others have this sort of style that generalizes it as Moe (and may be a reason some people lump Nichijou with Moe when it really isn't). I love Lucky Star, it was one of my starter anime (one of few things my dad would approve of me watching by myself at the age of 9). Mainly because the whole thing is just... Really weird. Different from the typical anime of pink haired female lead and mysterious dark-haired/blonde boy go save the world and/or fall in love with 4-14 million side characters??? Clannad was also hard to stay in line with, but when it came time in certain episodes, I was crying in the sense that I knew someone was dying and it was sad. But I was 10 then so I'm certain if I watched it again I would be cringing at Fuko forever more (sorry little wooden star girl but no). There are way too many things that I love for it's art and totally look over the other aspects of it, but I'm working on it (while at the same time becoming hella picky //sighs). So agree to disagree, but a lot of those things pointed out stuff I didn't realize 3-4 years ago so at the same time, thank you. Now I'm going to try watching Nichijou, Pet Girl of Saukrasou, and Angel Beats~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't stand moe either. Totally with you.

    ReplyDelete