Wednesday, January 21, 2015

A Brief Informant on the Do's and Don'ts of Hyping Anime/Manga/Anything

Right now I'm watching this anime that I'm suuure you haven't heard of called Toukyo Kyushu. More commonly known in America as Tokyo Ghoul. Oh wait. That's right. From any of my anime fan friends I've been hearing this:

"Go watch Tokyo Ghoul."
"You haven't seen Tokyo Ghoul yet? How come? What's taking so long?"
"Did you know Tokyo Ghoul has a second season?"
"Why aren't you watching Tokyo Ghoul?"
etc.
His mask is super cool though.
(Manga Volume Cover)
So to MY displeasure, I'm seven episodes in and surprise, surprise, it's not everything that the hype said it was going to be. Shocker much? No. Not really.
I am dedicating this post to those people who like to hype stuff to the point where it's so annoying and influential that when someone finally DOES go to watch the anime, it's a) not what they expected, b) Not NEARLY as good as it was praised to be and c) even though it was a good anime, it lost it's natural glow to the viewer because of annoyingly high expectations that weren't even set by the viewer themselves.

Yeah, yeah, I know. "It's what I think of it. It's my opinion on the show and I think it was the best show since FOREVER!" Shut your trap you pretentious anime messiah. I understand that. What I'm trying to get at is, well how about I use an example. One of the most hyped animes of 2013 and some might even say the best. (no, it WAS. NOT. Sword Art Online MMORPG obsessed teens)

It was Attack on Titan. 
Yes, Attack on Titan. 
Let me ask you this. How much have you heard about this anime if you haven't already seen it? And what about before you even watched it huh? You heard that this anime was the shiz and a bag of spicy Cheetos. Well, I bet you thought it was awesome, but did you really think it deserved all of that? Think about it like this, the ending was an annoying cliffhanger and there were plot holes left gaping wide open in the end that were introduced half way into the series(or close to that) and weren't mentioned again, only being left to the second season. It was good, but it wasn't all that. It had major flaws that if one was to say them, you couldn't really argue with it. It also had extremely good points too. Like that sense of immersement. Come on, when Team Levi was (*spoiler censor*) and when that sweet girl Petra (*spoiler spoiler*) and you found out she (*more spoilers*) then you watched her (*spppoooiilllerrr) who else didn't freaking feel that right in the gut? Or when Eren 'died' for the first time? Come on.


Maybe it was just because a lot of anime coming out after 2008 just weren't that great anymore. And I don't mean continued anime series like the Big 3. Really good anime series from the pre-2008 were mind mystery Death Note, rebel country fighters Code:Geass, and modern bands and dramatic relationships Nana. Post 2007? Angel Beats (good, but should have been longer for more character development since it revolved a lot around it's characters) Steins: Gate (good, but boring as heck until way later in the series) and Durarara (another good one, but the character importance levels were off base, meaning I couldn't give a flying fudge about the high school students but that headless motorcyclist chick looks freaking awesome)

See what I mean? Sure I could point out stuff in the pre 2008 but the ones after were a lot more evident than those of previous. Not saying that all after that period are bad, but compared to the greats of before 2008, they have a place higher than that of post 2008. (Well as of 2013 and sooome of 2012, they have been getting a lot better)

Why I wrote this? Just want you to know, if your going to recommend an anime, popular or not, please don't start off by saying "This is the coolest thing ever!" How about a summary and a point out of it's greatest and or greater aspects. COOL DOWN THE HYPING BRO! If you didn't already get that.

No comments:

Post a Comment