Monday, June 15, 2015

Anime Review: Black Butler: Book of Circus

REDEMPTION!
YAY!
FINALLY!

Let us thank the anime gods and A-1 Pictures for fixing their major mistake of making a season 2.

I shall say this first, I have not read the manga and there is a chance that I probably never will. It's very long, and it consists of mostly story arcs. It reminds me of the set up of Naruto. Something that I cannot bring myself to watch or read all the way through because of it's amount of episodes and or chapters.

What I've learned about this new season is that Book of Circus is an adaptation from one of the arcs in the manga, unlike the previous two seasons, which for the most part were not based off the manga.


So all of us Kuroshitsuji fans know about that horrific ending of the second season and how screwed over we all felt (as if we were Sebastian himself) after we saw what happened. When you really think about it, bullshit. All of it, what the hell? I mean really, what. the. hell? So when Book of Circus came, I, and so did ever other fan, have a total right to completely and utterly never even touch the show with a 100 foot pole.

Buuuuut, I convinced myself to watch it with numerous things to prod me towards it. And by GOSH am I glad I did watch it! It was simply one hell....of a better adaption to the series than the first two seasons of the franchise by far.

So summary, blah, blah, Ciel gets a letter from the Queen with some tickets to Noah's Ark Circus, asking him to investigate children going missing, which seems to occur at every city or town this circus seems to arrive at. So the boys decide to infiltrate the circus to find out the down low about the eccentric troupe.

I think you know what I mean. 
I am so happy. Thank goodness, Ciel and Sebastian got development. Praise the lord! Anyway, the characters. The reocurring characters get some more info. Not Lizzy though. (not that the yaoi fans give a crap if you know what I mean)

By reoccurring characters I mean Sebastian and Ciel. The new cast of characters... well it was too short for them to get a ton of development. They weren't bad persay, but the irony of their situation at the end was so freaking ridiculous and effed up in every way that it makes up for it completely! Although the first half of the show isn't bad, the real good parts start around episode 6 or 7. It consists of 10, but the first episodes are good too, I'm just saying the climax consists of 3-4 episodes. Which is freaking awesome.

Anyway, back to Ciel and Sebastian. Ciel doesn't end up being some arrogant prick like before. Well, he is still an arrogant prick, but you start to see some personality in this little asshole shota. You see Sebastian show some god-damn emotion and have actual thoughts, consider people's ideas and stuff, and everything else. You realize Ciel is a freaking GENIUS and thinks through all of his actions, and you start to see the more darker aspects of what Ciel had to go through, and what he got himself into to get himself out. You start to see Sebastian as an actual demon, but a demon with other things on his mind....But still simply one hell of sexy demon.
Hehehe, look at that smexy demon...

This is what is really evident in the new season and also what it does exceptionally well. Sadly it was only 10 epiosdes, but there is an OVA (that I have not seen) called Book of Murder. 

The music of the show was also pretty good. Hearing the circus like background music was wonderful. If you didn't already figure it out, it makes if feel like it's actually a circus. And since they didn't have very many background pieces, they replayed it quite a bit. But I did love it. The opening song had some high standards to live up to with the first and second season having freaking AMAZING opening songs, but the ending song held up. Animation, it's nothing different from before.

Overall, I say that if you didn't  see the first two seasons of Black Butler, to go ahead and watch the third season anyway. You can in fact watch it without seeing the first two, and you know what, that might even be for the best. If you have seen the first two seasons of Black Butler, I REEEEALLY say you go watch it! PLEASE!! Make Sebastian happy again! PLEASE! REDEMPTION!!!

Left to Right
Peter, Wendy, Snake, Jumbo, Dagger, Doll, Beast, Joker, Smile and Suit

No comments:

Post a Comment