Monday, August 11, 2014

Manga Chek-Up: Boys! Please Kiss Him Instead of Me

So I know this is kind of one of the first times I'm doing something like this, and I know I've got a ten ton crap load of other stuff to do, but I just do what I feel like and all the stuff that I actually need to do, I'll put off until the last minute. (referring to my duties as a blogger) But I shall call this segment Manga Check-Up, since I don't really think you can review something if it's not over (and a ton of mangas that I've started reading are not finished and remain ongoing) and I don't really like "reaction" either. I'd prefer to keep that to strictly anime only. So Manga Check-Up it is. I also kind of just came up with that on the spot. It sounds cool, yes?

Ahem, anyway.

Watashi ga Motete Dousunda by mangaka Junko is a reverse harem manga of the weirdest sort. First of all, let me say that Junko, until recently in the making of this manga, was strictly a yaoi, shounen ai, BL (boy love) onl mangaka. This is her first attempt at shoujo, and to put it frankly I think that she's doing a pretty good darn job so far....

Okay well maybe not. It's 50/50 depending on how you look at it. I haven't read an of Junko's work, and it's not because I'm not a BL fan. (I indulge myself from time to time....Don't judge)  
Volume 1 Cover Art
Other than that, the art is well executed and I really like it, although it is a little different from the usual. The characters are, well decent I suppose. (it's mostly because of the shallowness of the boys, but they each have their own distinct personalities which are easy to see and understand) Though I really do like the main character who I can relate to so well with because of her otaku weirdness. \(^o^)/

Ahem, anyway.

The manga starts of with high school girl, Serinuma Kae, a chubby (fatty to some in the manga) fujoshi who loves to ship her classmates with each other. Of course she is also an otaku.Her favorite character in an anime dies while she was watching it one day which leads her to a week long depression of not eating, coming out of her room, or going to school. When she finally decided to get up from her bed, she turned into a bonafide hottie! But she truthfully doesn't care too much about that fact. BUt she seems to be one of the few that doesn't care. Now the male classmates that she was analyzing and categorizing with anime terms (I'm not going to lie I sometimes do this) and shipping with each other suddenly turn their head towards her and she captures the heart of her three 4 male classmates, senpais and underclassman. How will she deal with them when she doesn't want the attention. And how will that deal with her BL?

I hope you saw what I did there.
Left to Right
Mutsumi Asuma, Shinomiya Hayato, Nanashima Nozomu, Igarashi Yuusuke
Off the topic of the writer and artist of Watashi ga Motete Dousunda, let's get into the categories of genres it falls into. Clearly it falls into the category of reverse harem. And within regulations of normal reverse harems, it does terribly. Not that that's bad.
With the usual reverse harem heroine being extraordinarily ditzy, annoying, airheads or having unrealistic child like innocence and crazy awesome Galileo philosophy skills, Kae is nothing like that. Well, she might be a bit of an airhead, but not on purpose. And annoying if you really hate fangirls, but she's only airheady and annoying when she's in that fangirl craze zone (we've all been there, admit it) and even then it's not all the time. Other than the many instances where she is fangiring like a lunatic, which if you don't then you're not doing it right, she's a completely regular female high school student who happens to become pretty. Personally, I prefer this reverse harem in all it's unusualness of a reverse harem, than I like the norm of the genre. In a way, thanks to someone whose name I seriously don't know, it's come to my attention that this reverse harem manga might even in some way just be making fun of the over top expectations that the reverse harem genre gives to it's characters. Following that path it creates a comedy manga that is just pan enjoyable. (Also my have a lot of experience with reverse harems that doesn't mean I like to watch them all the time. ESPECIALLY the stereotypical ones....although I've seen some of them.....and liked them. DON'T JUDGE!)

In the comedy genre, I personally think that it's absolutely hilarious. I completely enjoyed reading it and I really do laugh out loud at it! Others might not be as totally outright taken with the comedy, but I happen to find it better than what most shoujo, romantic/comedy mangas like to call, comedy.

In the romance area? Not to good. I've actually really stopped really considering to be romance. As you could already tell, most of the guys only like her for her looks. She hadn't changed on the inside one bit! The only difference is that she became prettier. Like I already said, the shallowness can only be said for most of the guys. Most being 3/4. One of the guys who was actually friends with her before she became a bishoujo, liked her the same amount he did before her depression. Unlike all the other guys, he could tell righ off the back that she was Kae. He even told her that she may look different, but she hadn't changed on the insed, and that was just perfect. If any romance does end up going on through the manga, I'd prefer it be with him. Though unluckily enough, it's more obvious that this sempai sees her her more as a friend.

That's about it though. I definitely recommend this, although for those of you who prefer to spend says on end reading a manga, this probably not for you yet. Currently it only has 1 volume release and 6 chapters in all released online. I still think that it is really good for how short it is, or the shallowness of the guys. It really is just a light hearted manga to not take so seriously. A manga you should really, just laugh at! Well that's the vibe I got from it so far. Hope you enjoyed this first edition of, MANGA CHECK-UP!!

See you next time!
*plays cheesy talk show end music*

2 comments:

  1. I read some of it, and I don't like it. It's not just because she's a fujoshi. The whole thing about the guys falling in love with her because she's suddenly beautiful is so shallow. Plus, about 1% of the straight guys population is actually okay with yaoi. This was just TOO unrealistic and superficial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that was kind of the point of the manga. How ridiculous it was. It was kind of making fun of the harem/ shoujo genre in general.

      Delete